Here’s the thing: you should never give up on yourself, even if you consider yourself “old” and even if you are! There are so many things you can do to improve your aging looks by improving the overall appearance and texture of your skin, which once achieved, will make you feel like a spring chicken! It’s just a matter of investing time, and often money, and making the commitment to at least try something that other people say has worked for them.
After I posted the article by the doctor who apparently helped rid Victoria Beckham’s face not only of acne, but helped her achieve glowing skin through exfoliation, a friend asked if I could recommend some exfoliators. My response was that the brand really depends on how sensitive your skin is, but that a great first step is to start using a Clarisonic, which is a handheld device that utilizes a brush with a buffing pad to deep clean and ultimately exfoliate your skin, especially when combined with one.
This is the one I have:
- Clarisonic’s latest Sonic Skin Cleansing System, the Mia 2 features two speeds, one-minute pulsing T-Timer® and comes with a protective travel case for on-the-go sonic cleansing, enabling you to have beautiful looking skin at home or on-the-go.
- The Clarisonic Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System uses a patented sonic frequency of more than 300 movements per second to clean, soften and smooth skin. In just 60 seconds, the action removes more makeup and more dirt and sebum than cleansing with your hands alone. Removing more dirt and sebum from your pores also helps prepare for a better skin care regime.
- Benefits & features highlights:
- – Removes more makeup than manual cleansing
- – Helps to prepare the skin for your usual skin care regime
- – Leaves skin feeling smoother and healthier
- – Tightens the appearance of visible pores
- – Helps remove sebum
- – Helps to improve the appearance of skin tone and texture
- – Gentle cleansing process which can be used up to twice a day for 1 min each time
- – Rechargeable
- – Waterproof
In my opinion the best way to choose skincare products, especially if you’re just getting into a skincare regime, is to go to a store like Sephora, or a department store, in order to speak to sales associates about your skin type and your particular skin’s needs. I tend to gravitate towards Zelens (in London), Perricone MD, bliss, Lancôme, Bobby Brown, Skinceuticals, Dr. Brandt, and Dermalogica– to name a few. But there are TONS of great brands out there!
If you prefer more natural products, Whole Foods or any local health food store is a great place to peruse. I know this isn’t offering you much information, but going back to Diana’s enquiry about exfoliators I would recommend, I would sing bliss’s praises! Bear in mind that I do NOT have sensitive skin and I have the type of skin that can withstand harsh treatments with nary a bad side effect.
Back to bliss; I’ve recently discovered that I really like their products, but my skincare regime consists of various brands; however, the ones I’ve recently incorporated have become my faves! Taking the advice of Victoria Beckham’s dermatologist, I now exfoliate daily by using my Clarasonic along with these two exfoliators from bliss- bliss micromagic microdermabrasion treatment (four times per week) and from their brand new anti-aging line of skincare called blisslabs active 99.0 anti-aging series refining powder cleanser (daily).
I find it’s best to use an exfoliator once a day, preferably at night, if you don’t have sensitive skin. Last night I used my Clarisonic along with Bliss’s microdermabrasion treatment without applying any moisturizer afterwards. My skin wasn’t as dry as I thought it would be and I woke up this morning with really smooth skin, but I need to stick with this regime to see any earth-shattering results.
If you’re just getting into the exfoliation thing, start slowly. Try using the Clarisonic once a day, your choice of morning or evening, along with your current facial cleanser. Once you’ve chosen your exfoliator, start twice weekly to see how it goes. If you find your skin isn’t angry with you, increase to three times the next week, but advance slowly and don’t push it. Be sure you use a day cream with an SPF of at least 15 if you’re exfoliating and please feel free to report back to me! I’d love to hear how it’s going.